It’s like Peas and Carrots (and Some Squash)! by Margo Elfstrom
This morning when I got on the scale, my heart sank. Yesterday, I did a photo shoot for Lil Miss Cake Pops (The pics will be on the site soon) and remembering my childhood and all of the starving children my mom always told me about, I decided that an eaten cake pop is not a wasted cake pop. Take that Mom! When I did my weigh in this morning, I had gained two pounds. Today, cake pops are off the menu and salads are back on.
My view of salads is that they should be fun and satisfying, after all it’s fun to be healthy…right? I keep telling myself that as I’m on the way to the gym in the morning and I’m actually finding that some days, I’m kinda psyched to go. Is it possible that the power of positive thought is working.
In the spirit of having fun, I decided to play with my food and conjure up some childhood memories. One of the things I remember loving was peas and carrots! I also have to admit to loving to play with fire and so I fired up the grill. In my travels through the fridge to find other ingredients, I noticed two squashes that one of my neighbors had given me, why not? What ensued was me, almost cutting my finger off with the mandoline (AGAIN….but luckily I avoided it this time), one burn, which will teach me to use mitts and tongs when using the grill and a fabulous summer salad that’s going into my files. Oh, I forgot to mention the dog stealing squash strips off of the plate, luckily I had more in the kitchen because for a dry mouthed dog, he salivates a lot when he thinks there’s something good.
This is one of those recipes that I had to share and what better way to share than to invite my Mom for lunch. After all, she was the one who introduced me to peas and carrots in the first place. She absolutely loved it and it was great to be able to sit down with her and eat a dish that I’d created. I even got a compliment, which with her are sometimes hard to come by. After taking a bite and giving me a highly critical look, she smiled and said this was definitely something she would order in a restaurant (she did mention that she’d like some meat with it…next time). She thinks that I might have a future in food….I’m still laughing about that one! Bon Appetite and may everything in your life fit together as well as peas and carrots (and some squash). One added note, we had cake pops for dessert…..Mea Culpa!
|Grilled Carrot Squash Salad with Pea Mint Dressing|
- For Salad
- 6 heirloom carrots
- 1 large summer squash
- 4 rounds of polenta (I had some left over)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (for garnish)
- Salt (to season carrots and squash)
- For Dressing
- 1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) peas
- 1/2 cup of white wine (dry)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of spinach
- 3 leaves of fresh mint
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut squash into strips and cut carrots lengthwise and then quarter. Season grill and grill polenta until you have beautiful grill marks. Grill squash and carrots until soft but still crunchy.
- On a plate, arrange carrots and squash over polenta and sprinkle with salt and pine nuts.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add white wine and chicken stock and allow to reduce so that you have about 3/4 of a cup. Stir in peas and spinach and cook until soft. Add honey, lemon juice and mint and cook for about a minute, making sure that the wine is cooked off. In a food processor blend into a paste, taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour dressing on and serve slightly warm…ENJOY!