Roasted Broccoli with Lemon, Garlic, Parmesan and Pine Nuts by Jill Mant
Unlike some past president who shall remain nameless, I adore broccoli. In all truth, although I am not a vegetarian, I do love most veggies and so broccoli is no exception. Of course, I love a rich Cream of Broccoli Soup (hot or cold), a light and fluffy and uber-cheesy Broccoli Quiche also floats my boat, and truth be told I could eat a head or two of steamed broccoli with melted butter and be very happy. I eat broccoli in salads, Broccoli Slaw, Broccoli and Cheddar Omelets, and Broccoli Tempura all very happily, but one of my very favorite ways to ingest this member of the cabbage family is oven roasted with lots of garlic and a little olive oil.
Broccoli is one on the most abundant and cost-effective vegetables that you can buy at the supermarket. It is also one of the vegetables with the most complete and well-rounded nutritional values.
Broccoli is low in saturated fat and very low in cholesterol. It is also a good source of protein and many minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, manganese and phosphorus. Broccoli is also a good source of dietary fiber. Broccoli contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K as well as the B vitamins riboflavin, vitamin B6 and folate. This is almost every vitamin your body needs, with the exception of vitamin D.
Broccoli acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body because it is a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Broccoli is a natural way to get most of your daily vitamins because it contains almost every vitamin your body needs, with the exception of vitamin D. Broccoli is also a great food for weight loss because it contains fiber. Fiber is an essential nutrient that has been shown to aid in weight loss. Broccoli is also high in selenium, a mineral known to reduce free radicals and support a healthy immune system.
|Roasted Broccoli w Garlic & Pine Nuts||
- 2 heads of broccoli, completely dry and cut into small pieces
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Toss the broccoli with olive oil and spread over a baking sheet
- Sprinkle sliced garlic over the broccoli and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until broccoli is crisped and beginning to brown a bit.
- Remove to a serving bowl or platter and squeeze the lemon juice over the roasted broccoli, sprinkle with zest, pine nuts, parmesan and basil. Toss to combine.
- Try not to slurp as you gobble this up!